Happy fall, y’all! Autumn officially began 2 days ago, but I declare today is the first day it feels like fall here in England. Today, the pilot and I were driving through some of the curvy country roads that are so common here.. just enjoying the crisp 63 degrees of sunshine and admiring the changing leaves. The bright leaves are my favorite sign of fall. There can’t be anything more beautiful than the cascade of deep red and orange vines clinging to a thousand year old wall in the abbey ruins. #casual
Being as stereotypical as possible, we decided to fix soup for dinner on this first declared day of fall. But not just any soup. This is our favorite soup! Introduced to us by my in-laws after Madelyn was born, it’s a perfect mixture of flavors.. sweet, savory, tangy, & spicy. All in one bowl of creamy orange yummm.
This recipe is really very simple & straight forward… isn’t that why we love soups so much??
Cook chicken with flavorings, puree some sweet potatoes (peel, cook in microwave ~ 5 minutes or until soft, puree in food processor with a little water), throw all the ingredients into a pot & let the magic happen.
The ingredients list looks long, but most things are just thrown into the pot & many are basic ingredients you already have sitting in your fridge or pantry (especially if you ever cook asian food.)
*21 Day Fixers: Don’t have spare yellow for the day? Use all pumpkin puree instead of half pumpkin-half sweet potato! Pumpkin is all veg, my friends 🙂
The recipe card and 21 Day Fix breakdown is below! Let me know if you try it & what you think! xoxo
21 DAY FIX BREAKDOWN:
1 GREEN (PUMPKIN, CARROTS)
1 RED (CHICKEN)
1 YELLOW (SWEET POTATOES/ MILK)
.5 BLUE (LIGHT COCONUT MILK)
1 ORANGE (PEANUTS)
2 TEASPOONS (PEANUT BUTTER)
- 1 tbs coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs minced fresh ginger
- ¾ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp fish sauce, divided
- 2 carrots, peeled & diced
- ~15 oz sweet potato puree (about 2 med-large sweet potatoes)
- 1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 15 oz. light coconut milk
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- optional: 1 tsp sriracha
- 3 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tbs dried cilantro (or ⅓ cup minced fresh cilantro)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 2-4 cups prepared brown rice
- ½ cup roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, chicken, red pepper flakes, & 1 tsp fish sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes longer, until fragrant. Move chicken mixture into large pot.
- Stir in carrots, sweet potato puree, pumpkin, peanut butter, broth, coconut milk, lime juice, & sriracha if you like spice. Cover, cook over high heat 30 minutes- stir frequently.
- Stir in rice vinegar and cilantro. In a small bowl, stir together milk and cornstarch; stir into soup. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes or until soup thickens.
- To serve, put rice in soup bowls & top with soup. Sprinkle peanuts over top as garnish.
- Option: add sriracha, squeeze of fresh lime juice, & yogurt as topping.