Morning, friends! It has been a looooong couple of weeks in my house as little M has (once again) decided that sleeping more than 2-3 hours at a time is too boring for her busy self.. no amount of back patting, shushing, or leg-scissoring seems to help avoid these wakeups. So, it’s back to survival mode we go… which means the dreaded arrival of morning (aka: the end of any potential sleep.)
On these mornings, I’m more likely to growl at anyone within 10 feet of me than sing sunshine-y songs or smile and coo… not at M, not at anyone. This girl needs sleeeeeeep. BUT! I’m enough of a foodaholic to get a little giddy about a scrumptious breakfast waiting for me (already made, no mess, available ASAP) to give me a little extra kick out of bed.
This Baked Berry Power Oatmeal is the perfect easy-peasy breakfast to super-start your day! Delicious, filling, and packed with superfoods! So..what IS a superfood, you ask?? ⇢ It’s an ahhhhmazing food that’s high in nutrition and brings you loads of health benefits! Thus it is dubbed… ‘superfood’ 🙂 Is it weird I always read that word with the deep “Superman!” echoing voice in my head?
Anyway… Oatmeal + blueberries + pumpkin seeds + pecans + banana + cinnamon + honey = ALL SUPERFOODS! So basically, eating this for breakfast is like arming yourself for the day’s battles. Cravings tamed, diseases thwarted. Bring on today!
We have definitely reached the end of fresh berry season round these parts (wahh wahhh), but lucky for us, this is the perfect kind of dish for frozen berries!
*Fit foodie fact: Blueberries should be your BFF.
- Some research has found frozen blueberries can give you even more disease-fighting antioxidants than fresh!
- Blueberries are a powerhouse fruit carrying more nutrients & antioxidants than any other fruit. They can boost memory, cardiovascular health, and eyesight!
- OH! And they help with fat loss, particularly around the tummy. #winnerwinner
The Stars of the Dish
All you need are simple ingredients that you (hopefully) have on hand! If not, you definitely want to stock up for pantry or freezer staples.. perfect additions to step up the nutrition in any recipe!
- Old-fashioned Oats (not instant)
- Pecans (option: substitute sliced almonds) & Raisins
- Sunflower Seeds & Pumpkin Seeds
- Bananas & Frozen Blueberries
- Honey, Cinnamon, & Vanilla Extract
- Nonfat Milk or Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Vanilla protein powder (Use your Shakeology or Sunwarrior is my very fave!)
- Himalayan Pink Salt ⇢ You can use table salt, but consider a switch! This salt still tastes, well, salty.. but is far less refined and contains over 80 minerals- these can help your body balance its PH, regulate water content, remove toxins, help absorb nutrients, prevent muscle cramping, create balance and more.
In a large bowl, begin by mashing the two bananas.
Add all other ingredients and stir to combine.
⇢ Add the blueberries straight from the freezer to minimize squishing while you mix them in.. but, worst case scenario, you have purple baked oatmeal! Not the end of the world, maybe even more fun 😉
Move the mixture to an 8″x8″ baking dish greased with coconut oil.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes on the lower rack of the oven. If the top starts to darken too quickly you can cover it with aluminum foil.
Let me know if you try this breakfast, friends! Recipe card and 21 Day Fix Breakdown below. xoxo
21 DAY FIX BREAKDOWN
1 YELLOW (OATS, MILK)
.25 RED (PROTEIN POWDER)
1 PURPLE (BANANA, BLUEBERRIES, RAISINS)
1 ORANGE (SEEDS)
.5 BLUE (PECANS)
1 TEASPOON (HONEY)
Recipe inspired by A Healthy Life for Me
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup pecans, crumbled
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup nonfat milk or unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add all other ingredients and stir to combine.
- Lightly grease an 8"x8" baking pan with coconut or olive oil.
- Bake 12-15 minutes on the lower rack.