Happy Saturday, friends! Doing anything fun today? We have lots of big plans every Saturday, always involving three things to start our day: Coffee, breakfast, & the farmer’s market. Now the breakfast… confession: I’m not a breakfast person. Don’t get me wrong, I love eating breakfast. Never miss it. Ever. Butttt… I always eat the same thing. I’ve written before about my current delicious breakfast obsession, but for the Pilot’s sake and in celebration of the weekend.. I’m willing to give it up. Especially for one of his delicious egg/frittata/omelet/savory concoctions! I’m trying to convince him to start sharing them here as a ‘guest post’ 🙂 I’ll let ya know when he caves..
But for now, I’m excited to share one of our new favorite breakfasts! Chocolate Banana Protein Pancakes with a Peanut Butter Whip. Yessss. You heard me… peanut. butter. WHIP! (You’re welcome) These pancakes are an amazing fiber- and protein-packed way to start your day. Is there any better combo than banana + chocolate + peanut butter?? I think not. Oh wait… it can get better: add some beautifully ripe, red strawberries. Okay, now we’ve reached breakfast perfection! Decadent enough for a Saturday, but great to keep handy for a quick weekday re-heat, too!
Now this whip… it
may be is my favorite part of this breakfast, because I have a slight total peanut butter obsession. The biggest problem with that is how calorie-loaded peanut butter can be! Those couple of teaspoons allowed on the 21 Day Fix just don’t allow for enough peanut butter for me. So my fix for this ‘Fix’ problem (see what I did there?)? Fluff it up! It feels indulgent but we are spreading out the calories 🙂
The whip is sooo easy… literally, peanut butter + greek yogurt + honey in a bowl, & mix. Done! Maybe I should call this the ten-second-pb-whip? …And now I have “I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth…” stuck in my head.. anybody with me? Ugh. Okay back to b-fast yums.. Recipe card and 21 Day Fix breakdown below! Let me know if you try it! xoxo
21 DAY FIX BREAKDOWN:
1.25 PURPLE (BANANA, STRAWBERRIES)
.5 YELLOW (OATS)
1.5 RED (EGGS, PROTEIN POWDER, GREEK YOGURT)
2 TEASPOONS (PEANUT BUTTER)
*Recipe inspired by Inside BruCrew Life
*Nutrition information for 3 pancake serving with PB Whip Topping.
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup Chocolate Shakeology (or protein powder of choice)
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- coconut oil
- PB WHIP TOPPING:
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons natural greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Optional Toppings: diced strawberries, drizzle of pure maple syrup
- PANCAKES: Combine the eggs, egg whites, bananas, oats, Shakeology powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon, & baking powder in a blender or food processor. Pulse until mixture is smooth.
- Put a ½ tsp coconut oil on your hot skillet and, using your spatula, disperse melted oil across pan to prevent any sticking. Drop ¼ cup batter onto the skillet for each pancake. Cook over medium heat until edges appear dry and bubbles cover the top of the pancake. Flip and cook another minute. *If don't have a blender or food processor, use a fork to whisk the eggs and smashed bananas. (Oats will be chunkier with this method)
- PB WHIP: Combine peanut butter, greek yogurt, & honey in a bowl. Mix well.
- ASSEMBLY: Serve pancakes hot with a dollop of PB Whip and diced strawberries. Drizzle pure maple syrup over top (No, not Aunt Jemima... the real deal.)