Some nights I really miss the conveniences of being in the states. A part of me wants to send the Pilot by Chick-fil-a for some delicioso grilled chicken sandwiches (extra honey roasted bbq, of course) and secretly hope he brings a side of fries to share. Convenience + immediate satisfaction. Buuuuut this is England. Which means, no Chick Fil A.. and truthfully, no drive thru’s. What do these people do when they don’t plan ahead for dinner?? My guess: they are really good at throwing together quick meals?
Dinners without preparation or planning often default to a more unhealthy route.. frozen prepared dinner packed with preservatives and enough sugar to mean you should have just eaten that cookie you wanted earlier. Or if you are lucky enough to actually have a Chick-fil-a nearby, maybe you end up with those fries too often. The fix? An arsenal of yummy recipes that are SIMPLE, QUICK, & HEALTHY! Pull these easy dinners together and check off those 21 day fix boxes, my friends. Especially those darn green and red boxes that seem like so. much. food. some days. And yet I never have enough yellow? hmmm..
This Easy Breezy Lemon Chicken & Asparagus does just that! It’s the dinner of good-for-you perfection, & only 30 minutes start to finish. Another bonus: You get to pound out any frustration lagging from the day. Easy, breezy, beautiful… (oh wait) delicious probably makes more sense 🙂
*21 Day Fixers⇢ looking for a superfood yellow to finish off your day? Add a small sweet potato on the side! Perfect plate of red, green, yellow, & blue.
Enjoy, my friends! Go forth and make speedy, lemony yums.
Let me know if you try it! Recipe card and Fix breakdown below. xoxo
21 DAY FIX BREAKDOWN:
1 GREEN (ASPARAGUS/ MUSHROOMS)
1 RED (CHICKEN)
⇢ ADD THE SWEET POTATO SIDE? 1 YELLOW
*Recipe adapted from A Pinch of Yum
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 cups asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 1 lemon
- Chicken: Cover the chicken breasts with plastic wrap and pound until even thickness, about ¾ inch thick. (another option: if chicken breasts are super thick, slice them in half horizontally to make two thinner pieces). Place flour, salt, & pepper in a shallow dish, & dredge each chicken breast in the dish to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken & sauté for 3-5 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Sprinkle lemon pepper on each side before cooking. Once golden brown and cooked through, move to a plate.
- Vegetables: Add the chopped asparagus and mushroom slices to the pan. Sauté only a few minutes, until asparagus is bright green & slightly tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Lemon: To make this dish extra tangy, zest about half of the lemon & save it to sprinkle on the finished dish. It adds extra lemony zing! Then slice the non-grated half (it's much prettier...& these slices are mainly just there to be a pretty garnish). Set these slices flat onto the hot pan after sautéing the vegetables. Cook a few minutes on each side so that they caramelize. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Assembly: Layer vegetable mixture, then chicken, then lemon slices, then a sprinkle of lemon zest.